Thursday, September 16, 2010

Caldecott Beginnings


When I first launched this project, I envisioned that I would have already posted 3 or 4 times by now. . . alas, life (and mostly homework) intervened. However, I will not bore you with excuses, rather get right straight to the heart of the matter. My brief reactions to the first few Caldecott books, I’ve read. Beginning with the second Caldecott Medal winner:

Mei Li by Thomas Handforth (Winner 1939)
This story is based on a young girl that the author met while living in the city of Peiping, China. The action takes place leading up to the celebration of Chinese New Year and revolves around Mei Li visiting the New Year Fair in the city. Reflective of its setting in 1930’s China, traditional gender roles are constantly reinforced throughout the simple adventure that Mei Li and her brother have attending the fair. The question—but what can a girl do at the fair reoccurs frequently. The book closes with the Kitchen God greeting Mei Li (part of the New Year’s custom) and answering her question “. . .but where can my kingdom be?” with the following “This house is your kingdom and palace. Within its walls all living things are your loyal, loving subjects.” Disconcerting to say the least to an American woman living in the 21st century, and yet the story does transport you to another place and time. It’s also interesting to note the book jacket reference, “It is a book that has universal appeal at this time because of the ever growing interest in China and her people.” Hmm. . . I wonder how this would compare to similar books today.

No comments:

Post a Comment